Friday, August 15, 2014

Dutch Oven Baking Powder Biscuits



Biscuits have been my nemesis in dutch oven cooking.  I have tried and failed at them so many times I don't want to mention.  And now finally I have done it and they are great!  They are big, fluffy, and perfectly cooked on bottom.   When I first stared I used butter as the fat in them but after reading a few blogs and YouTube videos I found that shortening is the way to go.

Dutch Oven Baking Powder Biscuits
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup milk

I actually doubled this recipe to fit my 12 inch dutch oven and to make them larger biscuits.
Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.  Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter or 2 knives.  Stir in enough milk just until the dough sticks together (if you add too much milk and it becomes sticky just add more flour)

Roll out the dough to 1 inch thickness and I used a mason jar to cut them out, or you can use a biscuit cutter or even a cleaned out tuna can.  Place in a 12 inch dutch oven.  I cooked it at 350 degrees and here is what I did different; Normally when cooking at 350 degrees you would place 17 on top and 8 on the bottom but for this I placed 5 briquettes on the bottom of the dutch oven and 20 on the top.   I never replaced the bottom briquettes, just let them burn out.  I did replace the top ones as needed.  Every 10 minutes turn the dutch oven a quarter turn.  Cook for 30 - 40 minutes.  I did hear a cowboy say that lifting the lid will add 5 minutes to your cooking time so don't open the lid until at least 30 minutes.

Here is a great YouTube video on making them


Thanks for reading, and get out there and get cooking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment