Saturday, February 15, 2014

Dutch Oven Lasagna


It is finally warm enough to do some dutch oven cooking.  I used my dutch oven table to cook so I didn't have to worry about the snow or wet ground affecting my temperature.   I have been wanting to make a lasagna in my 12 inch dutch oven for the last couple of years and I have not been successful in it until tonight.  This is a basic lasagna recipe but I like the addition of sliced mozzarella cheese.

Dutch Oven Lasagna

1 pound ground beef
2 jars of spaghetti sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1 package lasagna noodles
1 16 oz ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
1 egg
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 8 oz block mozzarella cheese


I cooked the ground beef and garlic in a 10 inch dutch oven at 350 degree temperate with 14 briquettes on top and 7 on bottom until it was browned.

In a separate 8 inch dutch oven I warmed the spaghetti sauce with a bay leaf cooking it at 325 degrees using 10 on top and 5 on the bottom.  I just warmed it until the ground beef was cooked.

Boil your lasagna noodles or use the ones that you do not need to boil first.

Mix the ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese) with the egg and Italian seasoning and set aside.

Slice the mozzarella cheese into 1/4 inch thick slices.

Ladle 1/4 cup of the spaghetti sauce on the bottom of your 12 in dutch oven.

Set aside another 1/4 cup of the sauce and then mix the remaining sauce with the cooked ground beef.

Layer about 4 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce in the dutch oven, you may need to trim some to make it fit.

Next layer 1/2 of the cheese mixture.

Layer 1/2 of the spaghetti sauce/ground beef mixture.

Next place 1/3 of the mozzarella slices.

Top with another layer of noodles and repeat steps.

When you end with the layer of noodles pour the remaining 1/4 of spaghetti sauce on top.

You will cook this at 350 degrees using 17 briquettes on top and 8 on the bottom for 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes place the remaining mozzarella slices on top and cook an additional 15 minutes until browned and bubbly.

Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.



I would like to thank my wife and how much I love and appreciate her, especially for being patient with me while I perfected this recipe!!  She really inspired me to do this and I thank her for her support.

I hope we have a good season of outdoor cooking and I would appreciate any comments or  questions you may have.

  Thanks for reading, and get out there and get cooking!

1 comment: