Monday, February 17, 2014

Dutch Oven Rolls



At the beginning bread was very difficult for me.  It didn't brown enough, was soggy in the middle or over cooked.   Finally after reading a few books and looking at some blogs (like Mark's Black Pot)  I figured out how to preheat the lid of my dutch oven and how to maintain the correct temperature.

For these rolls I used my wife's White Bread recipe (KT's Cooking) and for each loaf instead you make 12 rolls.   I preheated the lid because it give the bread a spring when the heat hits it and will make it rise and cook better.  I only preheated the lid because the rolls had to do their second rise in the dutch oven.

After preheating the lid I cooked the rolls at 350 degrees in a 12 inch dutch oven using  17 briquettes on the top and 8 on the bottom.   I cooked them for 40 minutes because of the temperature outside, but in the summer it would take less time.

I really enjoy these rolls hot out of the dutch oven with some butter and honey or make a great compliment to the lasagna I made before.

Thanks for reading, and get out there and get cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment