Saturday, April 12, 2014

Smoked Chicken


I own a smoker but many times I just use my large weber barbeque and using offset heat I am able to smoke things.  This is great for those who are unsure if they want to invest in a smoker but they can cook this way to see how they like it.

For the rub today I just did it really simple.  I brushed some canola oil over the chickens and then sprinkled it with a little seasoning salt and lemon pepper.  Other times I have done my barbecue rub.

In the bottom of your barbeque place the hot briquettes on to one side and then a large foil roasting pan (I buy mine at the Dollar Tree) on the other side.  Fill the pan with water.   Put the grill on and then place your chicken on a roasting rack and set it directly on the grill over the water pan. I have a spray bottle with apple juice that I use to baste the chicken about ever 30-40 minutes.   About halfway through cooking and when the chicken is a great brown color on top I wrapped the chicken in foil and cooked until done.   When your chicken is fully cooked bring it inside and let rest for 20-30 minutes before slicing to keep the juices in.  A little piece of the skin came off before taking the picture, but it was a fantastic and juicy chicken.

We have cooked our Thanksgiving turkey this way and I don't think we will ever go back to oven roasting it.

Thanks for reading, and get out there and get cooking!   

No comments:

Post a Comment